Travis High School Brings Home an A
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) grades have been released and our own Travis High School brought home an A.
This is quite a feather in our on-site high school’s cap as only 21 percent of all Texas schools were rated as A campuses. In addition, Travis received distinctions in social science and comparative closing the gaps.
The new accountability system replaced the earlier “Met Standards” rubric for the first time this year. The new system bases 70 percent of a school’s ratings on the highest scaled score earned in one of three categories: raw student achievement, student progress and performance relative to percentages of economically disadvantaged students. The remaining 30 percent of the grades are generated by measuring how schools close achievement gaps between different groups of students.
Those scores are used to calculate the schools' overall scale scores, which range from zero to 100. Travis received a scaled score of 92, placing it among the few A campuses.
The measures used to create those scale scores are based almost solely on how students performed on the 2018-2019 State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) test. For high schools, officials measure students' test scores as well as graduation rates and college and career readiness metrics.Travis graduates 98 percent of its students. Seventy-three percent of students are considered ready for college, the military or a career.
Helping Travis Tigers excel academically is the job of Travis teachers, 47 percent of whom have a master’s degree. Many have Ph.Ds.
Students also can participate in more than 20 AP courses, enjoy a strong UIL athletics program and can join numerous co-curricular programs.
Our other on-site schools also did well. Neil Elementary and Bowie Middle School were among the 37 percent of schools across Texas that achieved a B rating. Bowie also was awarded a distinction for social studies.
We congratulate all of our students and their teachers. You really made the grade!